Family Law, Criminal Defense & Immigration Attorneys
Waivers of Inadmissibility Award-Winning Legal Representation

About Waivers of Inadmissibility

Insight from Our St. Charles Immigration Lawyers

There are often times when someone will have the ability to obtain status in the U.S., but because of certain circumstances, the government considers them 'inadmissible' or ineligible. In this situation, you need to acquire what is known as a waiver of inadmissibility in order to legally become a citizen. Whatever the case, it is of vital importance that you get the 'inadmissible' status changed. However, it may be difficult to do so without the help of an experienced immigration lawyer.

When attempting to file for a waiver of inadmissibility, it is important to remember a few things:

  • There are different waivers that may be required depending on the reasons for your inadmissibility
  • Depending on the waiver, you may have to have certain relationships in place to have a qualifying relative that would make you eligible for a waiver

Get an experienced St. Charles immigration lawyer on your side. Contact Smith Law Offices, LLC today! We offer free consultations to help you get started.

Reasons For Being Deemed Inadmissible

The most common reason that individuals need to file a waiver is that they entered the U.S. without inspection and are now married to a U.S. citizen who has filed paperwork for them. If an individual entered the country without inspection, they are generally required to leave the U.S. to obtain a visa at a consulate abroad.

If any individual has been in the country for more than one year without permission, when they leave they are subject to a 10 year bar to returning to the U.S. because of that unlawful presence. In this situation, it may be possible to seek a waiver that can allow them to return without having to wait the full 10 years.

An individual may also need a waiver if they have made misrepresentations in the past or if they have been deported before. They may also need a waiver because of their criminal history or because they assisted someone in coming to the United States illegally.

In addition, someone who comes on a J-1 visa may be subject to a 2-year foreign residency requirement before being allowed to get a green card. These individuals, too, can file a waiver for that 2 year requirement of living abroad if they can meet certain requirements and are eligible for a green card here.

Get a St. Charles Immigration Attorney on Your Side.

The attorneys at Smith Law Offices, LLC have over 30 years of combined experience in helping clients with immigration cases. We understand how confusing and frustrating this area of law can be, and that is why were are committed to helping you get the resolution that you are seeking. If you would like to retain our services, please start by telling us about your case.

Provide us with the details of your specific situation during a case evaluation.

  • Expertise
  • Super Lawyers 5 Years
  • Super Lawyers 2019
  • 2016
  • Super Lawyers Nevada
  • Avvo 10.0
  • Avvo 8.7
  • Client Distinction
  • Super Lawyers
  • Lead Council

Trusted Recommendations

  • “I highly recommend Smith Law Offices. When meeting with Nevada I found him to be detail orientated and thorough. He took the time to explain the legal process of my case and made sure I understood ...”

    - Ryan K.
  • “I have used both Monica and Nevada on separate occasions. Monica is one of the most kind-hearted attorneys I have ever met. She has held our hand throughout the entire process and makes sure that ...”

    - Julie C.
  • “Monica has done such an excellent job and I couldn't thank her enough! I'm writing this so that more immigrants like me could find her and benefit from her great work! She helped me present such a ...”

    - Tara Z.
  • “We were in a time crunch to apply for a change of status for my wife and Monica clearly explained the process and came through for us. We received my wife's green card seven months later. Highly ...”

    - George H.
  • “Monica was simply awesome, worked very hard for us, and got us what we needed. She is very well informed in all aspects of immigration law and we would HIGHLY recommend her as the attorney of choice ...”

    - Ahmet and Gulcay

Why Hire Smith Law Offices, LLC

  • Well Respected by Colleagues
  • Family-Run & Locally Owned Law Firm
  • Award-Winning Legal Representation
  • We Speak Spanish, French & Russian
  • Providing One-On-One Attention
  • More Than 30 Years of Combined Legal Experience