Is My Foreign Protection Order Enforced in Missouri?

An Order of Protection is a court-issued document that protects you and your children from domestic abuse and harassment. With this legal protection, your abuser is prohibited from contacting you in any way; this includes: phone calls, letters, or text messages.  Your Order of Protection can be renewed yearly and is only alterable by a judge. But what happens when you move out of state with a protection order?

An out-of-state protection order is also called a foreign protection order. The Violence Against Women Act of 1994 states that a domestic violence protection order must be enforced regardless of the state it was originally issued in.

Your foreign protection order is enforceable in Missouri under the following conditions:

  • The protection order was issued to protect you from physical abuse or harassment
  • The protection order was issued to prevent your abuser from contacting you
  • The out-of-state court had the authority to issue the protection order
  • The abuser received notice of the protection order
  • The abuser had the opportunity to defend himself in court

You don’t need to register your foreign protection order for it to be enforced. Missouri law enforcement officers are required to enforce a valid and unexpired foreign protection order. However, it’s still in your best interest to submit an Affidavit of Foreign Order Protection so your case is entered into the police database. This is a safety measure so law officers are aware of your protection order. It’s particularly important if you’re concerned your abuser may follow you to Missouri.

Want More Information?

You shouldn’t have to live in fear of domestic violence. If you need to file for a protection order or want to submit an Affidavit of Foreign Order Protection, contact Smith Law Offices, LLC. Our lawyers can offer you legal counsel representation so you can seek every legal precaution to protect yourself and your family.

Contact Smith Law Offices, LLC at (636) 400-1177 to schedule a consultation.

Related Posts
  • Legal Rights of Unmarried Parents: Paternity and Custody Issues Read More
  • Understanding Military Divorce Read More
  • Visitation During the School Year Read More